Our chassis stiffening kit is designed to help improve the handling and consistency of your classic Mustang.
The original Mustangs utilized a unibody construction. Rather than relying on full length frame rails as you might see under many other cars of the era, the Mustang relied on the floor pan and other body structures to connect frame rails located at the front and back of the car. Originally this reduced weight and cost, but time and questionable repairs often leave the Mustang with less than desirable chassis strength.
Chassis stiffness is important for two primary reasons:
- It improves torsional rigidity, aka the resistance to twisting. Keeping the car flat through corners or when under stress is essential for a repeatable feel and quicker times.
- It allows the suspension to do its job. If the car is twisting and bending (even over small bumps in the road) the chassis isn’t supporting the suspension, it becomes part of the suspension. Stiffening the chassis creates a repeatable and confident feel by allowing the suspension to work and do its job of handling the bumps.
This kit includes
- MOD Subframe connectors – designed to connect the front and rear frame rails, these solid connectors weld on in more than two locations, exponentially improving their effectiveness. They also serve as handy jacking points to prevent further damage to the frame rails.
- MOD X-Brace – Our X-Brace ties the subframe connectors together, further improving stiffness. We designed the X-Brace to be removable for servicing of exhaust and other under car pieces.
- MOD Shock Tower Brace – The Mustang shock tower brace kit is simple in design yet very effective. Triangulating the shock towers to the firewall with rigid mounts give unsurpassed strength compared to other brands.
Adding this kit to your ride will greatly enhance the feel and handling reliability of the car, giving you a better platform to build from. We install this set on nearly every car we work on and consider it nearly essential when adding more power to a classic Mustang.